Training Plan

There are a million and one training plans available as I discovered when I put out a search. While many of these plans have unique propositions, it is important to not get carried away and force fit yourself to anyone of these. The plan may be generalized and over-simplified for more people to understand,accept and get started but , in my opinion, these schedules need to be supplemented with one very important voice - your body's voice.

I remember running as a child - the absolute bliss of movement and the breeze hitting your face. Fatigue was never set it and there were no pains, aches, niggles. Running was preferred even when walking was an option.
I wanted to relearn how to run.

Listen   

Not everyone has the luxury of a running coach but then 10 out of 10 times your body gives you feedback. I strongly believe that pains and aches need should not be ignored. If there is pain usually there is an inflammation a mechanism to buffer against injury or further damage.
During my restart, I was advised to ease in to a routine, so remember - START SMALL!
The body which has not undertaken any strenuous activity has to be gradually introduced to running or any physical activity for that matter.
Patience is the key and I always during my intent setting(described below) have the Marshmallow test as a reinforcement item.

My Plan 

I started very easy - it had to be a pleasurable activity do Low Quality Goals!
It was a 15 day plan with 2 EASY goals
1. Set a 15 day streak
2. Ensure I made a journal entry for every day.

 NO DISTANCE GOALS! NO SPEED GOALS!

I could not afford to make it so punishing that I injured myself or worse lost interest.
So it was a schedule that alternated between 2 different kinds of  'running'  on alternate days:

  • Day 1 - Walk 5 - Faster 5 : Alternate between 5 minutes of easy walk and 5 minutes of faster walk for 20 minutes.  
  • Day 2 - Walk 5 - Jog 2 : Alternate between 5 minutes of easy walk and 2 minutes of easy jog(very easy) for 20 minutes.
The key was though I felt good after the 1st few days, I did not push myself because it was NOT my goal. 


I always started the session with light mobility exercises - loosening my neck, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles.
I always ended the sessions with light stretches - hamstring, quads, calves, lower back and shoulders.

Intent setting

I intended to write about this more soon.
My process is very simple - before every session (each day), I reinforce my intent. It goes like this:
1. Repeat my ultimate goals - which in my case was enjoy running
2. Repeat my EASY goals
3. Repeat my Marshmallow mantra - Gain without Pain


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps

First few days - hydration and nutrition

Welcome to Run!